These cruciferous veggies need to marinate overnight before roasting, so plan ahead accordingly!
**Preparation Tip: Cut cauliflower into 1 inch florets and halve or quarter each Brussels sprout 5 minutes before assembling this dish. This will allow the health-promoting compounds in the veggies to reach their maximum potential……and the flavor of the veggies will also be increased!
1. Cut 1 medium head of organic cauliflower into 1 inch florets.
2. Halve or quarter lengthwise 2 cups of organic Brussels sprouts.
3. Let veggies rest for 5 minutes. (See Prep Tip)
4. Spread veggies out into a 9″ X 13″ baking dish and drizzle on 2 T of organic olive oil.
5. Add 3 cloves of minced or pressed organic garlic.
6. Finish with 1 1/2 tsp. fresh, chopped organic rosemary (or 1/2 tsp. dried) and 1/2 tsp. pepper.
7. Mix all ingredients well, cover, and refrigerate overnight.
8. Transfer veggies & goodies onto a large, greased cookie sheet. (Try coconut oil 🙂 )
9. Sprinkle on 3/4 tsp. sea salt and roast veggies in a 375 degree – 450 degree oven until they are tender but still crisp. They will be a bit brown on the edges….yum! *I chose the 375 degree temp and the veggies were done in about 20 minutes. Just keep an eye on them. Your nose will know when they are close to being done!
–> The flavor of Brussels sprouts and cauliflower peaks during the cold months. The frost actually makes the vegetables sweeter.
–> Both vegetables contain cancer preventative compounds and liver detoxification enzymes.
–> Brussels sprouts & cauliflower are fiber-rich.
–> These two cruciferous gems contain heart-healthy folic acid, vitamin B6, and omega-3 fatty acids.
What is not to love!
Sources: Simply in Season by Mary Beth Lind & Cathleen Hockman-Wert
The World’s Healthiest Foods by George Mateljan