I’m back to exploring the world of living wheat-free. I picked up a copy of the Wheat Belly companion book….Wheat Belly Cookbook. It’s full of recipes for familiar comfort foods like quick breads, brownies, and biscuits prepared without wheat flour. We had a pot-roast last night, and I thought that some biscuits would go well with it. One of the biscuit recipes included shredded cheddar cheese…..yum! The biscuits were easy to prepare and they tasted great! Here’s the recipe…………..
1) Mix 1 cup of almond meal or flour (I put a cup of raw almonds in my Vitamix dry canister and in a few second had finely ground almond meal.) and 1 cup of ground golden flaxseeds in a bowl. Add in 4 teaspoons of baking powder and 1/2 teaspoon of onion powder.
2) Cut in 4 tablespoons of cold organic butter into the dry mixture. Add in 1/2 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
3) In another bowl, beat 4 egg whites into soft peaks. Fold the egg whites into the almond meal and ground flaxseed mixture until everything is fully combined.
4) Spoon the biscuit dough onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. This recipe makes 8 large biscuits. Flatten each biscuit round with a fork.
5) Bake in a 350 degree oven for 15 minutes, or until golden brown.
These wheat-free delights were nutty and cheesy and very satisfying. Just think of the healthy fats from the almonds and flaxseeds that you would never get with wheat flour!
Source: Wheat Belly Cookbook by William Davis, MD